Herbs and natural remedies for sleep are very beneficial. Sleep is one of the most deeply healing and revitalizing experiences known. When we can get enough restful sleep each night, the entire world looks brighter. Based on clinical trials, it is documented that our body naturally heals itself between the hours of 10:30PM and 6:20 AM.
There are 20% to 30% of American adults that are plagued with sleep disorders. Sleep disorders became so prevalent in 1993 that the U.S. Congress mandated a National Center on Sleep Disorders. Today sleep disorders are recognized as a disease.
What is the best herb to take to help you sleep? I will give you six of the most common bedtime herbs:
- Chamomile. For years chamomile has been used as a natural remedy to decrease anxiety and help you sleep.
- Valerian Root. Valerian is an herb that has been used for centuries to help with sleep.
- Lavender. Lavender has a natural calming sleep effect and a fresh, energetic morning.
- Lemon Balm. Evidence shows that lemon balm increases GABA levels which indicates a 42% reduction in lack of sleep symptoms.
- Passion Flower. Recent studies have shown that passion flower has the ability to alleviate anxiety and improve sleep quality.
- Magnolia Bark. Magnolia bark is a flowering plant that has been around for over 100 million years. This herb decreases the time it takes to fall asleep and increases the amount of overall sleep.
I would like to add that most of these herbs can be purchased in “tea” form. Some people prefer drinking hot tea before bedtime.
Good sleep is crucial to your overall health. In the meantime, these alternative remedies may help you get back to sleep sooner.
Your Wellness Friend:
Shirley Golden, Staff ND, The Health Patch – Cultivating Naturopathic Care for Total Health
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is intended for
educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.